Rebecca and Melissa
Our small group has lost some members to the real world (life after law school) and added some new members throughout the last two years, but every single one of the girls, without an exception, is a true gift from God. By living a life completely devoted to God, they inspire and encourage me. They are a reminder that God has me here for a reason. I love laughing with them, studying with them, praying with them, exercising with them, and just spending time with them. In addition, they challenge me and help me to become a better person. (As iron sharpens iron, so one (wo)man sharpens another. ~Proverbs 27:17) Though we are all individually imperfect, we serve a perfect God and I am so thankful that he has brought these women into my life to help teach me lessons and to walk through this journey of law school with me.
Though I could tell you a myriad of stories, I don't have time to type them all, but I would like to share two stories with you to show you what amazing friends I have. Last year, around my first set of law school finals, Jonathan was really sick. He had a fever for three days and broke out in an awful rash. He finally let me take him to urgent care. While there, they did some blood work and saw that he had a VERY low white-blood cell count and the few that he had were deformed. They told us that he could have leukemia and that we would need to come back in for testing in a couple days. I remember trying to be strong, but being scared to death. In addition to calling my family, I called these girls. I found out later that they had dropped everything and met in Pepperdine's prayer chapel to pray for us. Normally this wouldn't seem like a big deal, but for all of them to drop everything, in the midst of studying for law school finals to pray was such an incredible blessing to me. I believe that because of their prayers, I was able to focus and keep studying. (Thankfully, Jonathan didn't have leukemia - just a nasty virus!)
Then, this fall as Jonathan and I were planning for the future, one of the options on our plate would require us to be apart for a pretty significant amount of time. I was devastated, but wanted to support him. As I told the girls about it through tears, they prayed for me and later, one of them wrote me a letter and told me that if we did have to be apart, she would come visit me to help me get through the time. It was such an incredible blessing.
These girls are true friends - the kind that most people hope to have in their life. In addition, they are complete servants of God. They are continually taking time from their busy schedules to pray with people, tell them about Jesus, or just help them when they are having a tough time. They have such servant hearts.
I could go on and on about these girls, but I should probably get back to work. I'm sure you will hear more about them in many future posts. I hope you all have the blessing of having true friends in your life - friends who encourage you, challenge you, support you, and inspire you. I also encourage you each to be a true friend, putting others before yourself. Though I can't say I do this always (in fact, I fail much of the time), I pray that together we can strive to be like Christ to our friends. :)
Since I've spoken so much about the amazing girls in my small group, I thought you might like to see some pictures of them. We had a bit of a photo session today. I'll post more late, but here are some now:
Top to bottom: Melissa, Kimberly, Katie, Janelle
Left to Right: Me, Janelle, Danielle
Left to Right: Rebecca, Katie, Erin, and Kimberly
Top to bottom: Rebecca, Erin, Me, Danielle
For more pictures, click here.
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Ephesians 4:9-10

No comments:
Post a Comment